Wednesday, September 16, 2009

HBO's Bored to Death




I just saw the first episode of HBO's new comedy "Bored to Death" and I'm a little disappointed. I expected a lot from this show, and honestly with a cast like this who wouldn't. Jason Schwartzman plays a writer with writers block who turns to being a private detective, Zach Galifianakis as Jason's best friend, and Ted Danson as Jason's pot addicted boss. When I heard this idea it really struck me, I have always loved the idea of an everyman character trying to become a detective, perhaps it is my own desire to escape into that world. Noir films/books have always created worlds that I wish that I could be in. A world of femme fatales and shady cops sounds great.

Unfortunately none of this seemed to translate to the the TV show. I understand that this was merely the pilot, but it was hardly gripping. Maybe there was too much Jason Schwartzman, the best scenes were when he was there with Ted Danson who looks primed to be the best thing on the show which is impressive because Galifianakis is always seemingly the first person to steal the spotlight (see: The Hangover). I still have hope for the show, though I can only promise that I will watch the next few episodes before I write it off completely.

You can make your own judgement though, if you go to this link you can watch it there. (LINK)

No comments: