Monday, December 1, 2008

Karma...maybe

Today I had jury duty, this is a very bad thing. I had no interest in this mainly because I was concerned that I fit the profile of the type of person who would be selected to be on a jury. I also didn't have a plan to get out of it or a good reason why I couldn't participate in this rather important civic duty. So I did the only thing I knew to do when I don't want to do something...just hope I don't get picked. As I defeatedly make my approach toward the courthouse a gentleman who appears down on their luck approaches me. He asks me if I have any money that I can spare, so I graciously give him 2 bucks. He asks what I'm doing by the courthouse today as I'm getting money out of my wallet, I respond that I'm there for jury selection at noon. He then tells me that he has to be there at 1 for a court appearance. Instantly, I am hoping that I can get out of serving today because I will be asked to serve in his trial. This is all I thought for 3 hours. Luckily though, the case I guess I would have been in ended in a plea bargain before it went to trial. I am just going to credit this to karma and figure that if I hadn't given the money to that guy I would be sitting in a courtroom the next couple of days. And that people is why you give money to bums.

No comments: